Please see the below tips and instructions on hiring and managing your research staff:
- Getting Started
- Posting a Postdoc Position
- Finding, Hiring, and Managing Students in a Lab
- Interviewing and Evaluating Applicants
- Making a Postdoc Job Offer
- Preparing for Postdoc Arrival
- Managing Your Staff – Policies, Guidelines and Training Courses
- Leading and Managing Your Research Program
- Insuring the Quality, Safety and Integrity of Your Research
- Recommendation Letters and References
- Termination Guidelines and Postdoc Departure
- Other Resources, Training and General Assistance
See a full description of all steps to be taken for postdoc recruitment and hiring: Professional Staff On-Boarding Guidelines for Managers. See the HR Research Toolbox for all procedures and forms.
If you would like to post a monthly paid postdoc position, you have two options:
1) Completion the “short” job requisition form, found on the HR website along with needed forms and instructions. HR will post the position to the BWH website, where it is available to external and internal applicants.
- Summer and Student Hiring SOP – from BWH Human Resources
- Research Timekeeping FAQs
- Northeastern University Co-op Students
- Center for International Career Development
- British Universities North American Club (BUNAC)
- Staffing Your Lab: Perspectives from Both Sides of the Bench and Making the Right Moves – Chapter 4 from HHMI and BWF.
- Human Resources Solutions & Strategies series, including Behavioral Based Interviewing, a course on interviewing.
- Reviewing Applicants – Research on Bias and Assumptions – preparation of this document was made possible by the NSF.
- The ABCs of Interviewing (staying legal)
- Effective Reference Check Questions
- Postdoc Salary Scale Policy 2012
- Postdoc Salary Scale Policy 2014 (effective March 3, 2014)
- Postdoc Salary Exception Request Form
- Postdoc Offer Letter Template
- BWH Benefit Summary Sheet for Research Fellows
- Departmental Forms from the Partners International Office
- Direct candidates to the ORC’s Getting Started and Orientation webpage
- Once an offer has been accepted, send the BWH Professional Staff New Hire Packet
- The Brigham-Opedia – includes the postdoc arrival checklist
- FRESH Start Guide – Family Resources for Ethnicities Searching for Home (FRESH)
- Information specific to internationals relocating to Boston
- Policies and Guidelines for Postdoctoral Fellows
- Time Reporting Instructions for non-exempt staff
- Additional forms from Postdoc Policy (Annual Career Conference, Salary Exception Request, Appointment Extension Request, etc.)
- Human Resources Solutions & Strategies series, includes courses in employment law basics, and performance management strategies.
- CFDD’s BWH Mentoring Toolkit
- BWH Research Leadership Program
- HHMI/BWF Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty
- At the Helm: Leading Your Laboratory – Kathy Barker
- Academic Scientists at Work – Jeremey Boss & Susan Eckert
- The Brigham-Opedia
- BWH Research Compliance Office
- Partners Research Compliance Office
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Training offered by the BWH Office for Research Careers and the Center for Clinical Investigation
- Effective Reference Check Questions
- Reviewing Applicants – Research on Bias and Assumptions (preparation of this document was made possible by the NSF)
- Writing a Letter of Recommendation, an addendum to Making the Right Moves from HHMI and BWF.
- BWH Reference Letter Policy
- HMS Guidelines for Letters of Reference
- Postdoc Termination Process – Instruction sheet for PIs
- Once it has been determined that a postdoc is leaving BWH, direct them to the ORC webpage for Departing Postdocs
- Postdoc Departure Checklist – Instruction sheet for Postdocs
- Manager’s Toolbox from BWH Human Resources
- HR Research Toolbox
- BWH Leave of Absence website
- Research Roles – information clarifying roles; Sponsored Employees, Research Trainees, Collaborators, Observers, Contractors, etc.
Contacts for assistance from HR regarding your monthly paid employees (postdocs):
Jan Goplerud, HR Manager, email@example.com or 617 582-0125 (employee relations and policy questions)
Angela Carter, Benefits Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org or 617 724-9357 (on Tues, Weds, Thurs), 617 525-7637 (on Mon & Fri) (employee benefits questions)
The ORC can assist and will refer, as appropriate: email@example.com or 617 525-7646.